The Church School. Back Lane, was built in 1829 for 134 children with a staff of two. It was financed by public subscription and a 100 pounds grant from the National Society. The first headmaster is not known. The second was Thomas Lawford who took over in 1834. Fie was followed by Mr. Taylor in 1840. Richard Bamford who came from Lingards and lived in Chapel Fold took over in 1845.
The school closed on 21/8/1910 and scholars were transferred to the Town School Infant's Department, having previously transferred the junior school age children to the National School in 1856. The building was then used as a Parish Room until the Parochial Hall was built in 1924/25. This had been precipitated by the Council's plans to demolish property in Church Lane in order to widen it and to extend the graveyard.